Let's face it. When are we ever NOT women in transition?
You may be one if you find yourself saying things like this to yourself:
- “I’m feeling stuck in life.”
- “It’s time for a change.”
- “Life is boring, I need to find the courage to change something.”
- “Is that all there is?”
- "My life, relationships and body have changed, but something in me doesn't feel finished yet..."
- "The things/friends/activities that used to interest me don't anymore."
- "I didn't ask for this, but now that it's here, what am I going to do?"
Is Your True Self Pestering You?
A former post spoke to the normal cycle of feeling mildly depressed, stifled and wilted that comes when we have become root bound and need to enter another growth cycle. I began my book (The Creativity & Camaraderie Club Handbook: Have More Fun, Live More Wholeheartedly, Encourage Each Other) with this great invitation from Jean Houston's book, A Mythic Life: Learning to Live Our Greater Story.
You Are More Than You Think You Are and Something In You Knows It
- When the media tries to paralyze and diminish you by keeping you focused on a frantic preoccupation with outward appearance, aging or weight remember this: you are much more than that, and something in you knows it. (Have you read Five Important Things to do Before You Lose Ten Pounds yet?)
- Our culture deliberately tries to distract you from listening deeply within. If you did you would begin to hear the yearnings of your True Self, its desire for healing and the gifts and talents that are calling to you now. Give yourself the time, silence and solitude to answer the call. Your inner reality is much, much better than reality TV… and something in you knows it. Start living your own real life. (Here are some great quotes about the importance of silence.)
- When the media or your false self tries to preoccupy you with primitive-brain agendas of fear, acquisitiveness, competition or excessive consumption remember: You are more than that, and something in you knows it. You must choose to unplug from those messages and engage in a higher vision for yourself and your community. (You may need help learning how to calm down enough to connect within. Try the free app mentioned in this post, or the free 11-minute guided imagery audio here.)
- When you tell yourself “it’s too late”, don’t believe it! Find people who make you say, “I’ll have what she’s having!" Check out these great articles on people over 50 who have re-invented their lives:
Gather Your Tribe
Women in particular thrive when they have a positive, regular, committed social circle to support them. Modern life has made this harder and harder to come by. (Read this post on the health and wellbeing benefits of increasing your friendship circle and social connection.) You may need to create a circle for yourself. You may need to read up on guidelines for how to create and maintain a successful, supportive circle.
When I hit my own mid life slump I decided I could use a little more creativity and fun in my life. Five years later I am still meeting monthly with my Creativity & Camaraderie Club. These women continually up my ante and inspire me with their on-going experiments in living more wholeheartedly. This website, blog, the detailed handbook , and my new passion for printmaking are all a direct result of the inspiration and encouragement I find in this group. (You can see a small sample of some of the things people are up to on this pinterest board.)
I invite you to do the same! Why? Because…
You Are More Than You Think You Are and Something in You Knows It!
Will you accept the invitation?
Care to share it with others who might want to up their ante with you?