I have never separated Mind Body and Spirit in my psychotherapy practice. I know that if I assign my clients homework in each of these arenas their transformation and healing is accelerated.
Strategy of the Spirit # 13 is called Embody Thyself. Why?
- Your thoughts and emotions have an immediate and profound impact on your body, health and wellbeing. If you are serious about maximizing wholehearted living, you will bring your body along for the ride.
Without the Body, Your Spirit Doesn’t Have a Leg to Stand On.
2. Your body is the incarnated vehicle for your spirit. Think of the body’s nervous system and energy field as an antenna for receiving and transmitting subtle energies. The more in tune we are with our body, the clearer our spiritual and intuitive receptivity. The healthier and more energetic we are, the better able we are to serve our communities and enjoy this beautiful world. If you are serious about maximizing your spiritual life, you will honor the role your body plays in it.
Modern Life is Increasingly Disconnecting us from our Bodies and Each Other
3. In many ways. It is also suspected that the amount of time we spend substituting social media and Internet use for real-life, embodied connection and presence is directly related to a rise in depression, anxiety, low self-esteem and narcissism. (For just one example see Facebook causes depression)
Obvious Ways to Embody Thyself Better
- Move every day.
Walk, bike, swim, stretch, do yoga, pilates, etc. (For a great source of home DVDs check out Collage Video.com)
- Use your mind to calm your body.
Learn some form of mind training: Meditate, use home biofeedback, guided imagery, etc. (Check out the free guided Mini-Vacation at the bottom of this post here.)
- Increase Your Social Capital
Be sure you have scheduled real-life social connection on your weekly calendar. This is why I started a Creativity & Camaraderie Club for myself some years ago! Host a potluck or game night. Take a class, volunteer. Did you know that positive connection with others actually makes us feel economically richer? See Social Connection Makes a Better Brain or this Pinterest Pin to learn just how many thousands of dollars richer! Learn more by reading Friendship: Our Mothers Were Right, But They Didn't See This Coming!
- Get Tangible and Hands-On, Get Crafty
There are significant cognitive, social and neurological benefits to working on any handcraft. See The Hidden Benefits of Handmade Crafts: Strategy of the Spirit #5
- Eat Healthy
How would your car run if instead of giving it the appropriate fuel you filled it with marshmallows and donuts? A most basic Embody Thyself strategy.
- Engage Your Senses
Buy a flower. Listen to music. Play with color. Take a bath. Use aromatherapy. Take a bath. Find positive ways to touch and be touched. Get a massage, or give one!
- Practice daily "energy hygiene." Learn about energy psychology, qigong, etc.