Research is revealing the power of poetry
Powerful leaders have always known that if you want to affect people’s hearts and minds, information is best transmitted using metaphor, imagery, and stories. That is why poetry is a powerful Strategy of the Spirit and poetry month is important. Poetry has great transformative potential. Harvard, Stanford and Wharton business leaders think so too!
Poetry should have a central place in all our lives, not only for the aesthetic pleasure it affords, but also for its ability to awaken our senses, connect us with ourselves and others, and lead us to think in synthesizing ways…Reading and writing poems can help us discover profound truths we didn’t realize we knew.” Research Monograph #7 Dr. Jeanette Hughes
People who read poetry:
1. develop more ability to understand the complexity of the world and make deeper meaning out of it
2. are more sociable than non-poetry people
3. have a keener sense of empathy and compassion... something the world certainly needs more of!
4. reading poetry increases your vocabulary
Need more reasons?
5. reading, writing and listening to poetry helps develop creativity
6. reading poetry exercises and stretches your imagination
7. poetry confronts us with our emotional intelligence and creates an opportunity to explore our feelings.
8. Poetry helps us infuse our lives with beauty and meaning. (John Coleman)
9. Business leaders at Harvard, Stanford and Wharton feel poetry readers gain a professional advantage. (Learn more here)
Bonus Reason to read, write or listen to poetry?
10. It can make you laugh. Here's the proof, if you've ever had an adolescent (or been one!)
Poetry Resources that make it easy....
Poem of the Day App from Poetry Foundation
Reading and writing poetry helps you see that beneath the surface of everything there is a deeper meaning and significance. Poetry makes you dig for that meaning and helps you express that meaning. In a world that seems increasingly meaningless, poetry helps you dig deep. Why You Need Poetry: Intercollegiate Review